October 30, 2014
Download the white paper, Accountable Care Measures for High-Cost Specialty Care and Innovative Treatment, that was released during the conference, along with its executive summary and one-page research summary.
On October 30, NPC, the National Health Council and the Pharmacy Quality Alliance hosted a conference that examined the use of quality measures to balance financial incentives in accountable care systems, gaps in accountable care measure sets, and possible solutions for addressing these gaps.
The conference was designed for health care leaders and other professionals working to advance the use of quality measurement in accountable care systems, including:
- Provider Organizations
- Medical Specialty Societies
- Federal and State Policymakers
- Health Plans
- Patient/Consumer Groups
- Biopharmaceutical Industry
- Quality Organizations
- Learned how accountable care systems can use quality measures to balance financial incentives
- Explored key gaps in accountable care quality measure sets, particularly for high-cost specialty care and innovative treatment
- Gained insight into how the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) identify priorities for measurement and works with stakeholders to address measure gaps
- Learned how patients, medical specialty societies, and national quality organizations are engaging in quality measurement
- Got involved in the path forward to fill measure gaps and advance quality measurement for accountable care
Why do quality measures matter?
We asked health care leaders from our co-sponsoring organizations to share their thoughts on the importance of quality measures, their impact on patient care and challenges that need to be addressed.
Watch our video to find out their answers.
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Registration and Continental Breakfast
10:00 AM - 10:15 AM Welcome
10:15 AM - 11:00 AM Keynote 1: Systems of Measurement in an Evolving Healthcare Environment
- Mark McClellan, MD, MPA, PhD, Director of the Health Care Innovation and Value Initiative, Brookings Institution
11:00 AM - 11:45 AM Presentation: Quality Measure Gaps in Today’s Accountable Care Programs
11:45 AM - 1:15 PM Lunch/Keynote 2: Performance Measurement in CMS Programs
- Kate Goodrich, MD, MHS, Director, Quality Measurement and Health Assessment Group, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Moderator: Dan Leonard, MA, President, National Pharmaceutical Council
1:15 PM - 2:00 PM Panel 1: Advancing Quality Measurement—Real-World Guidance
- Mary Barton, MD, MPP, Vice President, Performance Measurement, National Committee for Quality Assurance
- Joseph A. Bianco, MD, Primary Care Physician, Essentia Health
- Joel V. Brill, MD, AGAF, Medical Director, FAIR Health, Inc.
- Moderator: Jerry Penso, MD, MBA, Chief Medical and Quality Officer, American Medical Group Association
2:00 PM - 2:15 PM Break 2:15 PM - 3:00 PM Panel 2: Advancing Quality Measurement—The Road Forward
- Helen Burstin, MD, MPH, Chief Scientific Officer, National Quality Forum
- Marc Boutin, JD, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, National Health Council
- Bill Grambley, MBA, Vice President, Government Services and Performance Measures, CVS Health
- Moderator: Laura Cranston, RPh, Executive Director, Pharmacy Quality Alliance, Inc.
3:00 PM - 3:15 PM Conclusion
3:15 PM Adjourn
A block of guest rooms at the Grand Hyatt Washington (1000 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20001) has been reserved for attendees at a rate of $279/night.
The cut-off date for reservations in the group room block is Wednesday, October 8, 2014. Reservation requests received after the cut-off date will be accepted at the hotel’s prevailing rate, based on availability.
Please click on the following link to make your reservation: https://resweb.passkey.com/go/NPCQualityConference or call Central Reservations at 1-888-421-1442 and refer to the NPC Quality Conference to receive the group rate.
For questions about the conference, please contact Alex Moorhead at 202.827.2089