Job Title: Communications Associate
Manager Title: Vice President of Communications
FLSA Classification: Exempt
The Communications Associate provides overall support to the Communications Department to strengthen visibility and outreach to specific external audiences and NPC member companies through traditional and new media. The ideal candidate must be able to work both independently and within a team on special assignments. This position also provides candidates with an opportunity to learn new skills and grow their career in health care communications.
Essential Job Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, each essential job responsibility must be performed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities. Other responsibilities may be assigned to meet business needs.
Written and Online Communications
- Develop written content for NPC and Going Below The Surface websites, blogs, e-newsletters and social media
- Develop editorial calendar and content for E.V.I.dently®, NPC’s monthly e-newsletter
- Create and edit pages for NPC’s websites
- Build, send and track performance metrics for NPC’s e-newsletters including E.V.I.dently®, the NPC Executive Brief, Going Below The Surface and event/research-specific emails
- Manage public and members-only webinars and related marketing activities
Communications Project Support
- Assist Communications Team with research, writing and editing needs related to the promotion of NPC’s research and activities
- Summarize documents, reports and articles for members, staff or other purposes
- Work with Vice President of Communications to support research project rollout
- Assist with special projects, as needed, such as website redesign
General Office Administration and Meeting Support
- Participate in Strategic Communications Work Group meetings; prepare clear and concise meeting summaries
- Assist with preparation and production of materials for NPC meetings including Work Group and conferences
- Provide on-site meeting assistance, including staffing NPC’s exhibition booth
- Represent NPC at stakeholder meetings, as needed
- Assist with maintenance of in-house database and external email database
The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to successfully perform the job.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with an emphasis on writing as well as careful attention to detail in composing, editing, typing and proofing materials for print and electronic media
- A strong ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously; able to conduct advance planning and meet deadlines
- A high degree of personal initiative; willing and able to work both independently and in a collaborative, fast-paced environment with a strong work ethic
- Ability to understand and accurately represent NPC’s research and positions in written communications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with website content management software, membership databases, e-newsletter software and graphic design software desired
- Knowledge of health care or pharmaceutical industry strongly desired
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and three-to-five-year related work history (preference given to journalism, communications and or/health and science backgrounds)
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard
- Close vision requirements due to computer work
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standard office environment
Travel: Less than 5%