Effective Date: May 2021
NPC does not share information that it collects with third parties for the third party’s direct marketing purposes.
Collection of Information
You generally are not required to affirmatively provide information about yourself when you visit the Services. However, we may collect information that you provide directly to us through the Services when you contact us with a question, create a member profile, register for our mailing list, order a publication, reply to a survey or questionnaire, or initiate other transactions through the Services. The information that we may collect directly from you may include:
- Contact information, such as your name, address, phone number, or e-mail address;
- Profile information, or survey responses, including communications preferences;
- Information posted in our interactive online features, including stories about you or your comments;
- Correspondence and other information that you send to us; and
- Additional information related to your requests or as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
NPC or its agents also may collect certain information automatically when you visit the Services, including:
- Your browser type and operating system;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Other unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers;
- Sites you visited before and after visiting the Services;
- Pages you view and links you click on within the Services;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies (discussed below under “Cookies and Other Technologies”);
- Information about your interactions with e-mail messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded; and
- Standard Server Log Information.
Information that is collected when you use the Services may be combined with other information collected from you or from third parties, such as publicly available sources.
Use of Information
NPC may use the information that we collect through the Services in certain ways in connection with our business. These uses may include:
- Providing you with the products, services, and information that you request;
- Responding to your questions, comments, and other correspondence that we receive from you;
- Providing you information about products and services offered by us or selected third parties that we think might be of interest to you;
- Soliciting information and feedback from you, including through surveys and questionnaires;
- Performing business analyses or for other purposes to improve the quality of our business, our Services, and the products or services that we offer;
- Customizing and personalizing your use of the Services;
- Publishing information that you post in our interactive features; and
- Such uses as are otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
Disclosure of Information
NPC may share your information with third parties in limited circumstances in accordance with applicable laws, including, for example:
- With our authorized service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf (such as to develop and transmit communications for us, manage databases, or perform analyses);
- With a member company if you are an employee of the company;
- To respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, or a request for cooperation by a government or other entity, whether or not legally required, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims;
- When we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, or as otherwise required by law;
- To protect or defend the rights, property, safety, and security of NPC, our members, users of our Services, or others;
- If we sell all or part of our business, or make a sale or transfer of assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, or in the event of bankruptcy; and
- When you consent to such sharing, including when you post information to a user profile or a public area of the Services, such as a chat room, forum, blog, or other community tool.
NPC also may share aggregated and de-identified information with our service providers and other third parties.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
These technologies include:
- Cookies. Cookies are small bits of information that are stored by your computer’s web browser.
- Pixel tags. Pixel tags are very small images or small pieces of data embedded in images, also known as “web beacons” or “clear GIFs,” that can recognize cookies, the time and date a page is viewed, a description of the page where the pixel tag is placed, and similar information from your computer or device.
When you use the Services or certain portions of the Services, information about your online activities may be collected over time and across different websites and other online services. Some of the third parties participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers choices about whether to receive targeted advertising. Please visit the websites operated by the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance to learn more.
You may be able to decide if and how your computer will accept a cookie by configuring your preferences or options in your browser. However, if you choose to limit or reject cookies, you may not be able to use certain online products, services or features on the Services. You may, however, need to take additional steps beyond changing your browser settings to refuse or disable similar technologies used by third parties. If you choose to refuse, disable, or delete these technologies, some of the functionality of the Services may also no longer be available to you.
Protection of Information
NPC has implemented reasonable security procedures to help protect the information that you provide to us. However, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data is ever completely secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your information and privacy, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information.
Some of our Services may include password-protected features. When using these features, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password and for any access to or use of the Services using your password, whether or not authorized by you. It is also your responsibility to ensure that your devices are protected with passcode controls and are kept current with software and security updates, has a passcode enable, to minimize being compromised by a malicious actor. Please notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
Your Rights and Choices
You may be entitled, in accordance with applicable law, to request access to or correction of your information or request deletion of your information in some circumstances. Please note that these rights are not absolute. For example, NPC will not delete information NPC is required to retain for regulatory reasons or where otherwise required or permitted by law. NPC will request additional information from you to verify you as a requestor before it responds. These requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Contact Us