Robert W. Dubois, MD, PhD, was formerly the chief science officer and executive vice president for the National Pharmaceutical Council (NPC). He held the position from 2010 until he retired in February 2022. He also served as NPC's interim president and CEO from Sept. 2020 to April 2021, guiding NPC and its staff during the search for a permanent executive.
Dr. Dubois, who is board certified in internal medicine, has more than 25 years of experience in health care research, with a particular focus on understanding and ensuring that patients receive high value health care. He has co-founded and led various health care research organizations in developing quality research with practical application.
Dr. Dubois was previously the Chief Medical Officer of Cerner Life Sciences, co-founded Protocare Sciences and was its executive vice president, chief medical officer, and later its CEO.
Throughout his career, Dr. Dubois’ primary interest has centered on defining “what works” in health care and finding ways for that evidence to inform health care decision-making. He is a recognized expert in the areas of defining best practice, disease management and appropriateness of care. He has authored more than 175 peer-reviewed articles on comparative effectiveness, evidence-based medicine, the development of practice guidelines and determining the optimal use of high-cost medical services.
Dr. Dubois received his AB from Harvard College, his MD from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and his PhD in health policy from the RAND Graduate School. He is the associate editor of the Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research and is on the editorial board for Health Affairs and The American Journal of Managed Care.
- Hollin L, González J, Buelt L, Ciarametaro M, Dubois R. Do Patient Preferences Align with Value Framework? A Discrete-Choice Experiment of Patients with Breast Cancer. MDM Policy and Practice. June 2020.
- Dubois RW. It’s Time to Talk About COVID-19 Prices. Health Affairs. May 2020.
- Buelt L, Westrich K, Dubois RW. Are Value-Based Arrangements the Answer We’ve Been Waiting For? Value in Health. April 2020.
- Wamble D, Ciarametaro M, Dubois R. Barriers and Solutions to the Inclusion of Broader Benefits in Biopharmaceutical Value Assessments. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. February 2020.
- Dubois RW. Six Ways ICER Change Benefit the Payer, Not the Patient. National Pharmaceutical Council. October 2019.
- Dubois RW, Westrich K. As Value Assessments Evolve, Are They Ready for Prime Time? Value in Health. July 2019.
- Dubois RW. From the Editorial Board: Robert W. Dubois, MD, PhD. The American Journal of Managed Care. July 2019.
- Chawla A, Westrich K, Dai A, Mantels S, Dubois RW. U.S. Care Pathways: Continued Focus on Oncology and Outstanding Challenges. American Journal of Managed Care. June 2019.
- Kleinrock M, Westrich K, Buelt L, Aitken M, Dubois RW. Reconciling the Seemingly Irreconcilable: How Much Are We Spending on Drugs? Value Health. June 2019.
- Dubois RW. Rx Drug Costs: List Prices Versus Net Prices and the Importance of Staying Within the Data. Health Affairs. March 2019.
- Mahendraratnam N, Sorenson C, Richardson E, Daniel GW, Buelt L, Westrich K, Qian J, Campbell H, McClellan M, Dubois RW. Value-Based Agreements May Be More Prevalent Than Assumed. American Journal of Managed Care. February 2019.
- Wamble D, Ciarametaro M, Houghton K, Ajmera M, Dubois RW. What’s Been the Bang for the Buck? Cost-Effectiveness of Health Care Spending Across Selected Conditions in the US. Health Affairs. January 2019.